Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Chinese Food??

Yes, weird title, but hopefully a good message...

So me and my Aunt had Chinese take-out last night. I love Chinese food. The only problem is, although my tastebuds do, my stomach area doesn't really enjoy all the deep-fried nastyness that I am sure is hidden deep within my orange chicken. My motto that I made up last night is: "Chinese food is yummy, but it makes my tummy feel crummy!" (Weird I know)
I started thinking, isn't this the same with sin? I mean, I love Chinese but my body doesn't. Yet I still eat it anyways. Don't we do this with sin? We love to do something, even though our conscience is telling us not to, and after it's all done, we suffer the consequences.
Do you have something like Chinese food in your life? Something that has tempted you and you have fallen prey? It might look soo yummy on the outside, but once you start eating and digging in, you realize that might not have been your best choice ever. Everybody has different Chinese foods in their lives. For you, it might be lying, but for the girl who sits across from you it might be smoking in the girls' bathroom. Though lying might seem smaller on the sin scale than smoking secretly, it's really not. No sin is greater or smaller than the other.
I ate the leftovers for lunch, but I didn't get sick. I think that this happens with our spiritual lives too. We do something wrong, and we feel bad, but then we do it again and it just doesn't effect us the same way it did the first time, or the 88th time. We become so used to the feeling of guilt or depression, that we just don't realize what's happening inside us. The more we do something and just ignore our conscience (which is the Holy Spirit), the more it just eats us from the inside out. When we start ignoring what our conscience is telling us, we start denying what is going on (DENIAL!) and alot of the time we become bitter, rude, and angry. When we ignore, other people usually get the brunt of our spiritual battle that is going on inside us. So besides just hurting ourselves we are hurting our friends and families and even people we don't know.
So just think about the "Chinese take-out" and it's consequences before you dig in.

4 comments:

Calvin said...

Good job Katy, that is so true in my life a lot of the time, by the way, I have a blog dedicated to teaching about God and His Creation, feel free to check it out, at www.rebelutionarytruth.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's some great insight Katy!
I love it when people can pull God out of the most every-day situations... something I should do more.

Anonymous said...

So true, and yes, there are things in my life exactly like Chinese food.

B.J. said...

Wow I never thought of looking at it that way. But now I can...I'll have to pass this on to my youth group or link to it from my blog.




Ps. My blog is in now way serious it is just a place were I randomly post stuff, wether it be a new band I found or a cool youtube video.